- HIRE A CLEANING SERVICE: Spruce up the entire house, including often overlooked spots like baseboards, picture frames, ceiling fans, etc.
- NEUTRALIZE ODORS: Shampoo carpets. Clean drapes. Air out house. Add potpourri or scented candles and diffusers.
- DEPERSONALIZE ROOMS: Remove family photos. Clear items from the refrigerator door and bulletin board.
- ORGANIZE CABINETS AND DRAWERS: Clutter makes it appear that the home doesn’t have enough storage.
- HANDLE MINOR REPAIRS: Fix sticky doors, torn screens, burned-out light bulbs, cracked caulking, dripping faucets, etc.
- PROTECT BELONGINGS: Remove or lock up valuables and medications.
- TIDY UP OUTDOORS: Cut grass, rake leaves, add new mulch, trim bushes, edge walkways. Also, consider a pot of bright flowers near the entry to boost curb appeal.
- CLEAR CLUTTER: Empty counters, cut down on decorative items, thin clothes in closets, clean garage.
- REMOVE PETS
- BRIGHTEN ROOMS: Replace burnt bulbs and consider higher wattage in low-light areas. Clean windows and screens, and replace heavy curtains with sheers to bring in more light.
- ADD COLOR: Put out colorful new towels and add flowers to give rooms some “pop.”
Here are the top 10 defects found during home inspections:
- 54.9% Doors need adjusting/servicing
- 54.8% Faucets and shower heads need servicing
- 54.5% Exterior caulking/sealant missing
- 53.7% Outlet or light switch problems
- 48.0% No circuit breaker (GFCI) protection
- 45.1% Missing or defective smoke alarms
- 45.0% Cosmetic sheetrock cracks or nail pops
- 40.5% Fixtures and/or bulb problems
- 33.9% Interior caulking, grout and sealer are missing
- 33.9% Electrical service panel problems
REALTORS® aren’t just agents. We are professional members of the National Association of REALTORS® and subscribe to its strict code of ethics.
When deciding whether to use a REALTOR® or sell on your own, be sure to carefully weigh the pros and cons so that you make the best decision for your family and situation. Here are ten reasons to list with a REALTOR®.
Thinking of upgrading your home before you sell? Here are the features buyers want most.
- Laundry Room (92%)
- ENERGY STAR® Appliances and Windows (90%)
- Exterior Lighting (90%)
- Patio (86%)
- Ceiling Fans (86%)
- Full Bath on Main Level (83%)
- Hardwood Floors on Main Level (82%)
- Garage Storage (81%)
- More Insulation than Required by Code (81%)
- Eat-in Kitchen (80%)
- Walk-in Pantry (80%)
You may have your home pre-inspected so you can fix problems before the official inspection takes place once you have received and negotiated an offer. You may even consider pre-inspecting it even before listing the property! Either way, here are the most common items you should prepare for:
You may already have gathered all the paperwork you need for closing day, but there are a few other tasks to handle before you get to the closing table (Donwload PDF).